Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolve

 

       polas_cr4

I hadn’t taken much time to figure out what my New Year’s resolutions would be, until I realized that I’d already given the subject some thought before. It’s really important for me to get my desperate consumer antics under control; to quote the always awesome Jess: “I don't need anything that's new. I could just wear the clothes I have for the rest of my life. Of course, I don't want to do that, but there are ways around it”. I hate feeling like modern life somehow conditions us into believing that it’s normal to replace our wardrobe every two months; even though I get the itch myself, I always end up feeling like a jerk after the excitement of a new garment wears out and it’s just another piece of cloth in my closet that I can’t fathom wearing without feeling outdated. It would be great to be more creative with what I already own, and be more efficient with it and stop squandering my money on things that take up all my space and give me nothing back.

Moving on, some of my other New Year’s resolutions would be :

- Getting my driver’s license (I was SO close last year)

- Figuring out a way to obtain a steady income. I’ll be 25 next year, darnit.

- Fill up a sketchbook (this year has been the least prolific for me, sketch-wise; I think the previous year I’d succeeded in fulfilling this very resolution, and I took a 365 day break, grrr)

- Reading 50 books (this one is going to be nearly impossible, but now that I’m partaking in the TFS book challenge I have a social obligation to at least pretend to make it!!)

I also hope that I can learn to be good to the people around me, for 2010 wouldn’t have been anything without my wonderful friends, family and boyfriend to make me giggle every day. So cheers to them! And I wish you all the very best for 2011!

2 comments:

  1. happy new year gabriela!!
    and yes, do get your license- it's quite liberating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well honoured to be quoted.
    50 books? Wow, I think I would love to join that but I don't think I could deal with the pressure. I've read three books in the last two weeks so I'm feeling pretty smug...maybe not the best time to start.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete